On Australian Gold Share Investments
... The Nerds have the Numbers
Is your gold stock good value compared to its peers?
The gold sector is volatile — investing without GoldNerds is like being blind:
We're crazy about information, and have transformed the way investors look at the gold and silver sector on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX). We save investors time when researching gold and silver companies, by providing sophisticated yet simple-to-use Microsoft Excel spreadsheets (Windows only) with up-to-date information and analysis of all the gold and silver companies on the ASX (see list below), currently about 180 companies, including producers, developers, and explorers.
All operations are by clicking buttons; you barely need to know how to use Excel to use a GoldNerds spreadsheet. You can sort and filter to see how companies compare across a large range of metrics.
Our spreadsheets come in two versions: standard, with market cap and resources information, and professional, with everything in the standard version plus financial information including enterprise value and our unique and powerful valuation indicator, total cost per ounce. Compare the professional and standard versions. Read about the investment factors we cover.
We're comprehensive: the professional version has 9,000+ cells, and there are 80,000+ words in comments about the companies. We're usually more up to date than the company websites. We don't just throw thousands of data points at you, we give you the power to manage the numbers.
Find companies that are undervalued or overpriced, compared to their peers, before other investors. This is invaluable information in judging a stock's prospects. Most subscribers find companies of interest they hadn't known about.
- All 200+ Australian companies - All the companies on the ASX whose value or focus is at least 50% in gold or silver.
- 20 - 50 columns of data - Share price and historic share prices (updateable over the web), number of shares, options*, cash, investments*, hedgebook*, liabilities*, other financial assets*, market cap, enterprise value (EV)*, net financial assets indicator*, minerals, percentage in gold, percentage in silver, reserves, resources, potential, mineable ounces (customizable), in-ground costs of gold and silver in dollars per ounce, production, forecast production, construction costs, cash costs, all-in sustaining costs (AISC), ongoing capital expenditure*, total cost of ownership (TCO)*, free cash flow*, price to free-cash-flow (like a PE, but more appropriate for a mining company)*, EV to free cash flow*, dividends*, margin lending LVR's*, dollars-per-production-ounce, relative sovereign risk, companies in the GDXJ and their current percentages*, and more.
- Spreadsheets by subscription - Buy a subscription for 6 or 12 months, which allows you to download the latest spreadsheet whenever you want. Subscriptions are NOT automatically renewed (to renew, buy another subscription).
- Updated every two weeks - We check the public announcements of all the companies, update the spreadsheet, and email subscribers that the spreadsheet has been updated.
- Graphs - 25+ graphs, updated as prices change. All the graphs on this page are from the GoldNerds spreadsheet, and can be customized by subscribers. (Warning: The graphs below are examples only; the data in them is NOT current. The price change graph above is real and correct.)
- Sort - Rank the companies by any factor, to see how they compare.
- Filter - Set filters on factors to rule out the companies you don't need to see.
- Company comments - Descriptions of the company, its projects, its capital raisings, important news, etc.
- Price updater - Fetches the latest share prices (20 minute delayed) for all shares in seconds.
- Customisable scores - You set the factors that matter to you, GoldNerds finds the companies that best fit. Finds companies you probably didn't know about.
- Options* - Listed in full with numbers, strike prices and dates, and recalculated (in-the-money or not?) with every share price update.
* Professional version only
We have repeatedly been told by people in the finance industry that our prices are much too low, but we want to be affordable to mom-and-pop investors too. Even one good trade more than pays for a subscription.
We sell four types of subscription:
- 12 month Professional, $399
- 6 month Professional , $249
- 12 month Standard, $249
- 6 month Standard, $129.
One of our subscribers, the Bullion Baron, has written an article "A Common Sense Approach to Picking Gold Miners" that mentions GoldNerds. Recommended.
Requires Microsoft Excel (Excel 2007 or later) running on Windows (XP SP3 or later). Does NOT work on Macs (Mac Office macros are not complete).
Last updated: 22 November 2016
The total cost of ownership (TCO) is how much gold effectively costs you by buying shares in a gold company:
The cost of gold is much lower when it is still in the ground, giving you leverage over more ounces:
The all-in sustaining cost of mining gold is crucial to free cash flow, TCO, and whether a producer can survive the current low gold price:
Free cash flow and sovereign risk are important ingredients in a company's share price:
Warning: These graphs are examples only; the data in them is NOT current.
Here are all the companies on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) whose value or focus is at least 50% gold or silver.
We're so sure we've got the whole sector that if you tell us about a company we haven't included (and which is not already in the research pipeline, as is typical for recent IPOs) we'll give you one month free professional subscription (if you are already a subscriber, we add it to the end of your current subscription).
Alphabetical by company name (not by ASX code):